Did you know that left-handed students can apply for specific scholarships? Be sure to take advantage of these opportunities if you are a southpaw. Just before we dive into the left handed scholarship, we need to see an overview first.
Lefties are usually thought of as imaginative and skilled problem-solvers. This may explain why so many left-handed artists and musicians achieve success.
Many famous and renowned southpaws worldwide, including Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, and Barack Obama. Being left-handed can occasionally present challenges.
Some items may seem challenging to use for lefties, such as openers and scissors explicitly designed for right-handed people.
Also, it may become difficult for a left-handed person to continue unfinished work left by a right-handed person, such as making weavings. Being left-handed is something to be proud of despite the difficulties.
Scholarships For Being Left Handed
While some of these scholarships are available to all left-handed students, several are only for secondary or postsecondary students. One example is the Frederick and Mary F. Beckley Scholarship, awarded to a college or university student who is left-handed and enrolled.
For consideration, students must submit an essay detailing how they overcame the challenges of being left-handed in a right-handed world.
HOW DO I APPLY FOR LEFT-HANDED SCHOLARSHIPS IN 2022?
The application process for left-handed scholarships is the same as for all other scholarships. You make sure you read and abide by the directions. All qualified applicants must submit their applications on or before the deadline.
Verify your eligibility before applying for any scholarships you are interested in. There are specific requirements for every scholarship. Some of the requirements might include: having a left-handed personality, a sufficient GPA and proof of your financial necessity.
You can still apply for scholarships if one of these conditions does not include being left-handed. Do well to mention your left-handedness on your application in this circumstance.
You might want to discuss how it makes you stand out, how it has helped you grow, and other things in your essay.
Are There Scholarships For Being Left Handed?
However, student debts will eventually become due and require interest payments.
Most college students have access to large-scale government-sponsored support programs, while other forms of assistance are only available to specific groups. In order to increase diversity on campuses and provide access to higher education for historically underrepresented groups, financial aid is aimed toward underrepresented minorities of ethnic origin, gifted students, women, and other groups of students.
Can You Get a Grant For Being Left Handed?
Being left-handed can be difficult. It is as if nothing was created specifically for left-handed people, and lefties are often given the wrong treatment. In the case of grants, however, they have the same opportunities as the right-handed! Check out the following article to find out what opportunities lefties have and what a fantastic scholarship opportunity for lefties!
It is Rare
It is not common to be left-handed. About 1 out of 10 people are left-handed; however, it is more prevalent for males than females. There are genetic possibilities of having children left-handed.
- Two right-handed people have around a 9.5 per cent chance of having a left-handed baby.
- Parents with mixed families see the number increase by around 19% of the chance of being a southpaw.
- There is a 27% chance that a child will be left-handed if both parents are left-handed. Given that only 10% of people are left-handed, a significant portion.
Being left-handed has a lot of disadvantages, one of which is finding a valuable pair of scissors. The gene that makes left-handedness more common also carries the genetic code linked to a higher risk of schizophrenia, according to a study done at Oxford University. Additionally, it was discovered that left-handed women are more likely to experience cancer and strokes. This is not the only thing. A myriad of chronic illnesses appears to have a relationship with people with left hands.
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Asthma and more.
You are probably wondering why I ever wish to be left-handed. You are indeed eligible for ALL the same grants that a right-handed individual can. However, there is more that you can be qualified to apply for.
The award is called”the Frederick and Mary T. Beckley Scholarship for Left Handed students is open to specific students. All applicants must be left-handed. The award is $1,000, depending on the person who fulfils the requirements. Unfortunately, this scholarship is only available to Juniata College in Pennsylvania students. To apply, students with left hands can visit Junita.com and search for “left left-handed scholarships.”
Left-handedness is not easy. Power tools, spilt ink and scissors that go backwards are to mention some. However, not everything is lost when you are lefties. You are eligible for any federal loan, scholarship and grant, regardless of your writing skills. There has never been a perfect moment to become a leftie!
College Scholarship For Left Handed Students
Below is a list of College Scholarships for left handed Students;
1. Andrew Macrina Scholarship Fund:
The American Culinary Federation (ACF) offers the Andrew Macrina Scholarship Fund, worth $2,500, to left-handed high school seniors who are admitted to an authorized college to pursue culinary or pastry arts.
- The best candidates will have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Have competed in culinary events.
- Engage in volunteer work regularly.
- Intend to enrol in an ACF-registered apprenticeship program.
- Submit two letters of recommendation.
- Demonstrate a commitment to a career as a chef.
One of the few left-handed-specific scholarships available today is this one.
Deadline: 31st March.
2. Comcast Leaders And Achiever Scholarship
Those who identify as the left could apply for the $1,000 Comcast Leaders and Achievers Scholarship if they are very committed to volunteering in their community.
- Candidates must be full-time seniors in high school.
- Be residents of a Comcast-served neighbourhood
- Demonstrate leadership qualities, and want to enrol in an authorized, non-profit college.
- Be nominated by a principal or guidance counsellor.
- Have a minimum GPA of 2.8 to be eligible.
The $5,000 one-time fee for students in the Philadelphia region is also the Gustave G. Amsterdam Leadership Award.
Deadline: 3rd December
3. Enid Hall Griswold Memorial Scholarship:
In the past century, there have been six left-handed American presidents.
The Enid Hall Griswold Memorial Scholarship can give you $5,000 if political science, history, government, or economics are your majors of choice.
Every year, the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) selects two worthy college juniors and seniors who are citizens of the United States, have demonstrated academic excellence, and need financial assistance to attend any accredited four-year university nationwide.
Likewise, take into account the Lucinda Beneventi Findley History Scholarship.
Deadline: 10th February
4. ESA Foundation Scholarship Program
Since 2007, right-handed or left-handed students who enrolled full-time in a recognized bachelor’s program preparing them for a career in computer or video game arts have been eligible to apply for the Entertainment Software Association (ESA) Foundation Scholarship.
Each year, up to 30 scholarships worth $3,000 are given out.
Candidates must be female or members of a minority group, citizens of the United States, have innovative technical talents and have a minimum college GPA of 2.75.
Deadline: 1st April
5. Frank J. Richter Scholarship Award
The $1,000 Frank J. Richter Scholarship Award is one of the distinctive scholarships offered by the American Association of Railroad Superintendents (AARS).
Interested left-handers must meet the following requirements:
- They must be full-time students at an authorized college in the United States or Canada.
- Have earned sophomore standing and maintain a minimum 2.75 GPA.
- Provide two letters of recommendation, and compose a narrative essay.
- Students majoring in transportation-related majors are given preference.
Deadline: 7th July
6. Federick and Mary Beckley Scholarship
The Frederick and Mary F. Beckley Scholarship was established in 1979 at Juniata College in Pennsylvania and is one of the few awards for left-handed people.
This prize is worth $1,000 to $1,500 annually.
- Candidate must be a left-handed student
- Must have completed at least their first year at Juniata
- Must have excelled academically and have a GPA over 3.3.
- Must have demonstrated leadership on campus.
- Applications must be submitted with two personal references, documentation of financial need, and grade verification.
7. Heineken USA Performing Arts Scholarship
The Heineken USA Performing Arts Scholarship, administered by the Congressional Black Caucus Foundation, offers innovative left-handers pursuing bachelor’s degrees in theatre, music, opera, theatre, and other performing arts the opportunity to earn $3,000.
Applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must be African Americans, U.S. citizens, or legal residents.
- Enrolled full-time in an accredited college, maintaining a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- Demonstrating leadership skills.
- Submitting a two-minute video recording sample.
Deadline: 29th April
8. James Beard Foundation National Scholarship
One of the most valuable left-handed scholarships offers $20,000 a year to students who want to study culinary arts, food science, hotel management, agriculture, and related subjects at American universities.
Ten distinct geographic regions of the nation were considered to choose one beneficiary.
Deadline: 15th May
9. James River Church Left-Handed Scholarship
The James River Church (JRC) and Evangel University have teamed up to provide the Left Handed Scholarship, a $500 annual award, to southpaws pursuing the associate degree in leadership at the JRC Leadership Campus.
To be considered, applicants must submit a portfolio of their illustrations, paintings, photos, or graphic designs. They may also submit a 500-word essay describing their left-handedness.
The four awards of scholarships equally split up the four semesters of the curriculum.
Deadline: 1st March
10. John Kitt Memorial Scholarship
The American Association of Candy Technologists (AACT) presents this prize, possibly the oddest for left-handed people.
- Candidates must be at least sophomores and major in food science, chemistry, biology, nutrition, culinary arts, or a related discipline at a four-year university in North America to be eligible for the $5,000 award.
- Left-handed applicants must demonstrate a sincere desire to work in the confectionery sector.
Deadline: 1st April
11. Ken C. Hicks Scholarship Program
The Ken C. Hicks Scholarship Program, funded by Foot Locker, provides 20 $20,000 scholarships to student-athletes pursuing a four-year bachelor’s degree at an authorized U.S. university after graduating high school.
- Must be left-handers
- Must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- Actively participating in intramural or varsity athletics.
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Must be highly driven, committed to volunteering, and not currently employed by Foot Locker.
Deadline: 17th December
12. Lawyer Plus Southpaw Scholarship
The Lawyers Plus Southpaw Scholarship, established by a personal injury law company in Las Vegas, gives $1,500 annually to left-handed high school, college, and graduate students enrolled full-time at an approved U.S. institution.
Candidates must make a two-minute video on a smartphone or digital camera in which they discuss how being left-handed has affected their academic career.
Judges will consider each submission’s originality, humour, emotion, and general excellence.
Deadline: 31st July
13. Michael Yasick ADHD Scholarship
Left-handedness has been linked to an increased risk for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.
Suppose you have been given a diagnosis of this neurodevelopmental disability. In that case, the Michael Yasick ADHD Scholarship may be able to provide you with $2,000 for schooling and pre-paid coaching services from the Edge Foundation.
- Candidates must be lawful residents of the United States.
- Accepted into a two- or four-year post-secondary program at a recognized college.
- To be considered, you must provide medical records from a licensed healthcare provider.
Deadline: 9th March
14. MRCA Foundation Left-Handed Scholarship
The Midwest Roofing Contractors Association (MRCA) awards another scholarship to left-handed people each year for $500 to $3,000.
A major in a trade-related field, such as architecture, engineering, industrial design, material science, construction, or metallurgy, is necessary for southpaw eligibility.
The recipient must be a citizen of the United States, pursue full-time education, attend an approved U.S. college or technical school, maintain a minimum 3.0 GPA, and have previous construction industry employment.
Deadline: 1st July
15. Pickard Parry PFAU Southpaw Scholarship
The Pickard Parry PFAU attorney office annually encourages higher education by giving the $1,500 Southpaw Scholarship to left-handed high school graduates and college students who are majoring in any field and have exceptional academic achievement.
Candidates must be U.S. citizens, or legal residents enrolled full-time at authorized universities with unmet financial needs. An introductory one- to two-minute YouTube video about being left-handed must be submitted with online applications.
Deadline: 31st July
16. Wendy Jackson Hall Memorial Scholarship
The two-year, $15,000 Wendy Jackson Hall Memorial Scholarship, named for a Seattle animator who worked for ASIFA Hollywood before passing away too soon, is available to artistic left-handed students with unmet needs.
The Bainbridge Community Foundation seeks candidates who are Washington residents who are graduating high school seniors, who are accepted into accredited U.S. institutions’ visual art programs, who maintain minimum GPAs above 3.0, and who exhibit remarkable creative aptitude.
Deadline: 1st March
17. Thermo Fisher Scientific Antibody Scholarship
The Thermo Fisher Scientific Antibody Scholarship, which awards $5,000 to four and $10,000 to two deserving college students, is open to lefties who envision a career in science research.
The majors in biology, chemistry, biochemistry, or related life science must have been declared by eligible undergraduate or graduate scholars at approved U.S. universities. They must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0. Application applications require a transcript, resume, two letters of recommendation, and a 1,000-character short answer.
Deadline: 30th June
18. Students Rising Above Scholarships
At least 100 high school juniors from low-income households who have demonstrated outstanding character in overcoming challenges like homelessness, child abuse, or parental death are awarded the Students Rising Above (SRA) Scholarships.
Students from the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area who are right- or left-handed are eligible to apply.
A 3.0 cumulative GPA, enrollment in a bachelor’s degree.
Strong recommendations from a mentor or counsellor.
Deadline: 4th March
19. Shaw-Worth Memorial Scholarship
Left-handed animal enthusiasts may want to apply for the Shaw-Worth Memorial Scholarship, given out by The Humane Society annually and worth $3,500.
- Candidates must be graduating high school seniors.
- Must be residents of New England
- Be accepted students at colleges in the United States.
- Exhibit a humanitarian mindset and actively participate in animal rescue groups.
- Three letters of recommendation and proof of animal-related rescue efforts are required for online submissions.
Deadline: 25th March
20. Rick Chace Foundation Scholarship
Each spring, the Association of Moving Image Archivists funds the Rick Chace Foundation Scholarship, which provides $4,000 to full-time graduate students pursuing postgraduate degrees in moving image studies, information science, archive management, museum studies, film science, or allied subjects (AMIA).
- Applicants must be left-handed.
- Must attend an approved U.S. college with a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Demonstrate the ability to lead creatively
- Write a 1,000-word essay about their interests in moving picture preservation.
Deadline: 15th May