Before going into the Topic: of Microsoft Hardware Engineer Salary, let us have some background knowledge.
Hardware engineers from both companies work for Microsoft as well as Google. Unfortunately, there’s not nearly as much information available on this topic, but this is what I’ve observed.
- Design and integration of components in their devices (Surface, Xbox, Windows Phone)
- Testing of the environment and validation of hardware of these products. I’ve attended a LabVIEW workshop in which Microsoft utilizes LabVIEW to validate Xbox controllers.
- Quantum computing research is ongoing in Santa Barbra, Santa Barbra.
- In designing servers and SOCs to go into their datacenters
- Designing prototypes for Glass, Makani Power, and other Google[x]-related projects.
- Designing the camera systems for StreetView of Google. StreetView
- Conducting environmental tests on said products
- Designing robotic systems to create self-driving cars.
How to Become a Computer Hardware Engineer
It is a wise choice to pursue a profession as a computer hardware engineer. There is a rising need for hardware engineers in every business since technology has become a crucial component of every organization worldwide.
Hardware engineers pave the path for quick technological advances by researching, creating, testing, and implementing computer systems. As a result, they are unquestionably a crucial part of every firm.
Before beginning any career, there are several factors to consider, such as pay potential, educational requirements, and necessary abilities. To learn more about what this job requires, continue reading to learn how to become a computer hardware engineer.
Is It The Ideal Career For Me?
Before deciding on the career route you’d like to take before you decide, it’s essential to be sure that it’s the perfect one for you. In addition to having a vast technical understanding, Computer hardware engineers are also required to work with a company’s management team and conduct research regarding the performance of hardware and troubleshoot devices that aren’t working as well as other tasks. Therefore, it’s crucial to determine whether this is something you’d like to do.
The first step is to investigate what your job involves, such as the required day-to-day responsibilities, the working environment, the skills required to succeed in your job, and the pay prospects. Begin by looking for reviews published online, or talk to experts in the field. For example, if the day-to-day routine of a hardware engineer seems dull, you should consider if this is your career.
Another option to accomplish this is to get some experience in the real world through your intern program or even as a shadow. The more you understand your career options and the more prepared you’ll be when you decide to pursue the path you want to take.
What are my requirements for a degree?
An undergraduate degree in computer or electrical engineering is typically a prerequisite for entry-level jobs. In addition, it will provide you with the foundations required within the field, as you’ll be able to experience hands-on exercises and build up your understanding of topics like electronic circuit analysis, Digital signal processing, the design of hardware components, and computer programming.
In the US, many engineering courses are recognized by ABET, and many employers will prefer graduates of top engineering colleges such as Stanford University.
A master’s qualification in computer engineering might be a great idea to enhance your employment prospects and give you an advantage over your competitors. It is typically a requirement for large corporations and companies. However, suppose you’d like to take your knowledge an extra step. In that case, you can also get a doctorate by becoming a Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) or Engineering (BEng).
Beyond academics, a couple of other credentials will help you begin your career. For instance, if you want to be employed within the government sector, you’ll require a license to become an engineer for hardware. If you’re looking to improve your skills, take a look at different formal training programs, including the BTEC qualification, an SQA National Certificate, and SQA Higher National Diploma.
Alternatively, your apprenticeship within IT or engineering might be an excellent option to take this path. In the UK, For instance, you could get a more advanced apprenticeship for a company when you are A level student. Then, you’ll master the basics of working in the field while getting paid. You can also slowly advance to a position as a hardware engineer.
What skills do I need?
Beyond diplomas and certificates, A computer hardware engineer must possess the appropriate combination of mobile and technical capabilities, which include:
- Analytical abilities: As a hardware engineer, you’re expected to evaluate the complexity of equipment and user requirements and determine the best way to improve and enhance your skills. This is why the profession demands people to possess analytical skills and a highly analytical mind.
- Skills for problem-solving: Issues will occur when working with complex systems and complicated equipment. Your job is to recognize these issues and evaluate your options to discover the most efficient method to solve them.
- Interpersonal capabilities: A hardware engineer will often be required to be part of other teams and work with technical and non-technical colleagues. This means that you do not just must be able to think through and resolve issues but also communicate with other people. Beyond the technical aspect of things, being proficient as an attentive listener and a skilled communicator are crucial skills.
- Innovation: Hardware engineers don’t only have to fix their hardware. They must also create new hardware and equipment. Creativity is an integral part of this procedure since it allows you to develop blueprints for the development of new, exciting technology. Of course, it is also a crucial capability for solving problems, as you could be required to develop a new solution to an issue.
- Management of stress Hardware engineering is a highly stressful and demanding job. Based on what size business you’re employed by, you’ll have to manage several projects at the same time. Maintaining your cool under pressure and stress is an essential skill to possess.
- Technological awareness: As a hardware engineer, you’ll have to keep abreast of the latest technology and ensure that all equipment is current and in good shape. Your knowledge of technology will make a massive difference to you and your organization. Awareness of the latest developments and innovations can help you fulfill your duties to the best of your ability.
Microsoft Hardware Engineer Job Description
Hardware engineers, also known as Computer hardware engineers, are responsible for designing, developing, and testing computer hardware. They aid in speeding up the development of new technological advancements by implementing improvements to computer hardware. Hardware engineers are responsible for components manufacturing, production, and installation. Additionally, they analyze complex equipment to determine the most efficient way to improve it as they design the equipment employed in manufacturing goods. Another task is to ensure computers are running the latest software, which usually calls for collaboration between other engineers working on software.
Spend a few minutes designing or updating the resume you have. Please browse through our resume examples to determine the most effective way to write the resume. Then choose from 10 resume templates to build the perfect Hardware Engineer Resume.
HARDWARE ENGINEER RESPONSIBILITIES
Here are some examples of responsibilities from real resumes of hardware engineers, which show them what they would be expected to carry out in their job.
- Manage multiple consultants designing Altera FPGAs for CMD.
- Create as well JAVA and PythonQT GUIs to manage search results.
- Modify Python scripts with SCPI commands for automating test equipment using the GPIB interface.
- Install servers, manage and maintain them, and workstations online and on-site.
- Create Perl scripts that automatize measurements.
- Create synthesis reports and automate simulation with Perl scripts.
- Board FPGAs are coded using VHDL as well as VERILOG.
- Run various Unix OS commands and low command lines and look through logs when needed to identify system issues.
- Perform debugging on PCB prototypes in conjunction with the manufacturing test procedures.
- Mentor: Calibre, DFT.
- The size of the most potent IP can be 600K gates.
- Framing and code packet features used by Xilinx Virtex.
- Use UVM within SystemVerilog to design test benches to use for FPGA verification.
- Develop the complete FPGA foundation DSP system from algorithm to implementation.
- Plan board for an uncrewed aerial vehicle and also validate FPGA modules.
Microsoft Hardware Engineer Salary
Microsoft Hardware Engineers in the US make an average salary of $106,285 a year.
If you need a quick pay estimator, that comes to about $51.10 per hour. This amounts to $8,857 every month or $2,043 per week.
While yearly earnings for Microsoft Hardware Engineers range from $80,000 (25th percentile) to $130,000 (75th percentile), with top earners (90th percentile) getting $159,000 nationwide, goclassroom.org reports annual salaries as high as $176,000 and as low as $27,500. The significant (up to $50,000) variation in the average compensation for a Microsoft Hardware Engineer implies that there may be several prospects for promotion and better income based on skill level, location, and years of experience.
According to recent job posting activity on goclassroom.org, there aren’t many employers hiring right now, making the market for Microsoft Hardware Engineer jobs in Lagos, Nigeria, as well as the entire state. In your location, the average yearly income for a Microsoft Hardware Engineer is $106,634, which is $349 (0.0%) higher than the $106,285 national average. Out of all 50 states, it pays the highest salary for a Microsoft Hardware Engineer.
As millions of current jobs are listed locally across America, goclassroom.org regularly searches its database to determine the most precise annual salary range for Microsoft Hardware Engineer positions.
Software Engineering Internships and Full-time Opportunities to African Students
Are you currently in the process of pursuing or recently finished your bachelor’s or master’s level degree in computers or another related subject? Do you have at least one year of experience programming in an object-oriented programming language? Are you interested in moving to the US or Canada? UK or Canada?
Microsoft is recruiting Sofware Engineers from African universities to join their team in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada.
As a Microsoft Software Engineer, you’ll collaborate with colleagues to solve problems and create creative software applications. You’ll need to be passionate about your customers as well as product quality as well as be able to offer technical assistance to Program Managers. At the same time, they evaluate user requirements and the requirements of the product.
Additionally, you will be required to show the ability to understand and implement relevant techniques, tools, and techniques to apply your solution. If you are a Software Engineer with Microsoft, You will be able to design and develop the latest software.
If this sounds appealing to you, don’t apply here.
Software Engineering Internships
Suppose you’re a Nigerian student currently studying the bachelor’s or master’s level in computer science, engineering, or another related subject. In that case, Microsoft is also offering Internship opportunities, beginning at the end of summer 2023, located in Lagos, Nigeria.
As a Microsoft intern, you’d work on tasks as part of global teams.
You must possess programming expertise in an object-oriented language, such as C, C, C#, C++, Java, or Python, and can comprehend the fundamentals of computer science, such as the structure of data and algorithms.
Suppose you’re looking to bring your ideas and solutions to life by developing innovative technology in an environment of the highest quality and with the chance to develop and grow. Why not apply for a job here?
Microsoft Hardware Engineer Jobs
Are you a hardware Engineer seeking a career in Microsoft? and do you seek to get a suitable job in Microsoft as a Microsoft Hardware Engineer? Then follow this link to apply. Please note that this is an external link directly from the Microsoft Career page.
[…] Recommended: Microsoft Hardware Engineer Salary & Job Description […]